#EndSARS: Anambra panel receive 114 petitions, as lecturer narrates ordeal in detention Skip to main content

#EndSARS: Anambra panel receive 114 petitions, as lecturer narrates ordeal in detention

 


Anambra State Panel of Enquiry on Police Brutality, Extra-Judicial Killings and Other Related Matters yesterday announced that petitions from victims of the recently disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) have increased to 114.

Anambra is noted to be one of the states with the highest number of SARS brutality, torture and extrajudicial killings in the country, with the police unit’s Awkuzu headquarters officially code-named ‘hellfire’.

Chairman of the panel in Anambra, Justice Veronica Umeh (Rtd) announced during the panel’s sitting yesterday at the Anambra State government house that more petitions were coming in, and that so far, 114 petitions had been received.

She said, “We have started in earnest. We have 114 petitions so far. We dismissed some the other day and treated some too. We have a total of 114 now, and from Thursday, we will announce a new sitting arrangement, and we want you all to bear with us.

“From next week, we will produce a tag for all members of the panel, so that it would be easy for us to know who is who. I urge you all to submit your passports. Journalists are also expected to clearly display their press tags very clearly, so we know those who are here.”

Meanwhile, the panel entertained some petitions, including testimonies from a lecturer with the Federal Polytechnic, Oko, Dr Justin Nwankwo who said the defunct SARS operatives ruptured his scrotum in the process of torturing him in 2013.

He also asked for compensation for properties confiscated by men of the SARS from his room during his ordeal, and compensation for unjustly branding him a kidnapper and human parts dealer.

He told journalists that, “The incident happened in 2013. I was the manager of the Upper Class Hotel in Onitsha, and I was also a PhD student then. We had rented out one of our rooms to a guest, who was properly checked in.

“In the morning, policemen came and searched the hotel and discovered some skulls in room 102, and the guest to whom we rented the room was not there. We told them that we duly recorded the guest before check-in, and that same morning, we had taken our manifest of all people who were guests to the CID department as was the practice, but they refused to listen.

“We urged them to investigate the guest as only he could tell how the skulls got there, but they were more interested in parading us as kidnappers and human parts dealers. I was brutally tortured and had a near-death experience for 81 days in SARS office Awkuzu, and I almost died.

“We (staff of Upper Class Hotel) were detained, tortured and released without any charge. I sustained damaged testicles, and ruptured scrotum, with lots of bodily harm. I am seeking compensation for the demolition of the hotel and for my name to be cleared, and my properties paid for.”

He regretted that immediately after they were arrested, no investigation was carried out, nor any panel set, but the then state governor, Mr Peter Obi ordered the demolition of the hotel on the same day.

“The police knew that no one was missing in that room, the man who rented the room had a name and the manifest was submitted to the police. The person who brought the skull is the person who should be investigated.

“Under one day, there was an executive, a judiciary and all investigation carried out in one day and the hotel was demolished, all in one day. Peter Obi was hasty (with the demolition) but said he had information, and never made such information known.

“We were paraded to the world as people selling human parts and taken for torture. That to me as a PhD student then was enough blacklisting. They know you cannot as hotel management ask to search the bag of guests. Our instinct is clear and we know that it was a plant. The hotel owner (Mr Bonaventure Mokwe) was set up by his adversaries and we (staff) were caught in the web,” he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#BBNaija SEASON 5: Meet the housemates

After many weeks of waiting, the popular reality TV show, Big Brother Naija is back with a new season that promises to be filled with immense drama and excitement. According to organisers, MultiChoice Nigeria, the winner of this year’s edition will be going home with N85 million worth of prizes! Yes, way bigger than the previous editions. The breakdown of the prizes for the winner includes: a N30m cash prize; a top SUV; a trip to Dubai for two; a trip to Dublin; a two bedroom apartment; three smartphones; and a year’s supply of selected food stuff, snacks and drinks. There’s also a bonus prize of two VIP Tickets to watch a Champion League final game live. Meet the housemates: DORATHY Dorathy Bachor is a 24-year-old entrepreneur from Lagos. She believes she is the only one who should make you smile. Her sassiness will definitely prove to be an asset in Biggie’s house. What new habit or skill did you acquire during lockdown? I can sleep for more than four hours. I also discovered the abi

#BBNaija 2020: Get out, I’m done with you – Erica blasts Laycon

Big Brother Naija Lockdown housemate, Ngozi Nlewedim, popularly known as Erica, has berated fellow housemates, Laycon, for gossiping about her with the others. Laycon, who has a very strong feeling for Erica, seems to have been affected by the outcome of rejection as the Abia-born female housemate picked Kiddwaya over him. For this reason, Laycon has been seen at different times and locations discussing Erica and telling fellow housemates how he feels being rejected. Erica had once made it clear that while she is mentally attracted to Laycon, she is physically attracted to her lover, Kiddwaya. Addressing the housemates during Sunday’s live eviction, the reality tv show host, Ebuka had drawn the attention of Erica to things going on around her, one of which was Vee advising Laycon on how to handle his feelings for Erica. After the live eviction, Erica chatted with Vee, wondering why Laycon hasn’t moved on yet. Erica said that by now Laycon should move on and stop going around telling th

#BBNaija 2020: Kiddwaya’s mother finally speaks with Erica, details of conversation revealed

Susan Waya, mother of Big Brother Naija, BBNaija, evicted housemate, Kiddwaya, has finally reached out to ex-housemate, Erica. Mrs Waya, who spoke with Erica on phone, described the evicted BBNaija housemate as a “sweet lady.” She disclosed this to The Boss, a newspaper owned by Dele Momodu, on Monday. Mrs Waya who lives in Essex, United Kingdom said their conversation lasted for about 10 minutes. “She’s such a sweet lady… I’m looking forward to meeting her and can’t wait to see my son very soon in Lagos,” she said. Recall that Erica and Kiddwaya were involved in what many termed as a relationship while on the reality show. Though, they had their on-and-off moments, but the romantic cord between them was unmistakable. While Erica was disqualified from the BBNaija reality television show two weeks ago, Kiddwaya was evicted on Sunday.